Sunday, June 28, 2015

Thoughts on progress. Entry No. 1

     This may become a ongoing part of my blog but I decided to take a moment and talk about my thoughts regarding my progress as well as concerns I am facing that I think is important for anyone on a weight loss journey.  Yeah I wanted my blog to be nothing but fun and excitement but I thin some serious moments are needed as well.

     So the other day I decided to reach into the depths of my closet and try on a pair of 36" width shorts I had purchased years back when I thought I could use it as motivation to loose weight.  To my surprise they fit quite comfortably! This past Friday was my weekly weigh in day and I had finally crossed into the 230s.  I think the last time I was in the 230s was 2009/2010. On a recent bike ride I tried on a new workout outfit and learned that a XL shirt and L shorts fit comfortably.  Sometimes I find myself in disbelief that I have lost almost 160 pounds and that my shirts have gone down three sizes and my pants now 5 sizes.

     My mind has really been focusing on the fact that I am in the 230s.  Like I said the last time I was in the 230s was around 2009/2010.  As my weight has always been a struggle for me from my teens till today the last time I can remember being in the 230s or lighter was 1999/2000 when I was 20/21.  Since I've never seemed to be able to maintain that weight or surpass it I have a nagging fear in the back of my head that I could easily hit relapse again and balloon back to a heavier weight as I have numerous times before.  I have also been observant of the fact that I know quite a few people that have had weight loss surgery at different stages of their life and have since gained some of that weight back.  I also know of a few people that had weight loss surgery around the same time I did and have lost a fraction of the weight that I have.  I consider myself very fortunate and in retrospect have had a re-understanding of the following  and would like to share it.

1) I, as well as anyone else on a weigh loss journey, must continue to work hard on this if I want to maintain my progress and success!

  • If I wish to continue with my progress and success I must continue to put the work and effort into it.  That means watching what I eat, recording it in a diary, and must put in the time to be physically active.  Im glad Ive learned to enjoy riding a bike down the trail located near me but I also need to start making sure I find other things like going to the gym. This is especially important since there have been rainy days lately, and the bike I was using is currently being repaired.  That has easily become my excuse for not getting my physical activity in.


2) Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix!

  •  I never thought this to begin with.  However I feel its important to remember this, as well as point it out for anybody contemplating having weight loss surgery!  Weight loss surgery is a tool, short and simple.  This tool helped me get where I am today and I need to remember, as I push towards my goal, that this is a one time only tool.  If I mess up and return to my care free sedentary lifestyle all my progress could be for nothing and there is no second surgery they can go in to do this all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment