Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Tools I Use The Most

I think being able to track your progress is important.  These are some of the tools I use in my new life to monitor and maintain my progress as well as daily needs.  Some of them I have used in my previous weight loss journeys but they all help me in their own special way.

Withings Pulse O2
Withings Pulse O2:
This activity tracker is really at the top of my device list.  It tracks how many steps you take in a day, how high you have climbed, how far you have traveled, and how many calories you have actively burned in a day, your heart rate, blood oxygen level, and it also doubles as my watch.  Of course this might be an issue when my Apple Watch ships in June.  It also has a sleep monitoring mode which is great for seeing what your sleep pattern is like.  It tracks your movements while you sleep and then, after communicating with the Withings Health Mate App (see below), shows you how often you were awake, lightly sleeping, and deeply sleeping.
You can learn more about the device and order one here.



Withings Wireless
Blood Pressure Monitor
Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor:
I use to dread checking my blood pressure because it meant seeing a bad number.  Then I received this gem as a present and the geek in me took over and now I actually enjoy adding this information to my health profile.  The device connects via bluetooth to your iOS and/or Android device and communicates your blood pressure information to the Health Mate App (see below).
You can learn more about the device and order one here.






Withings Wireless Scale
Withings Wireless Scale:
Ive never been excited to be able to weigh myself.  The Withings Wireless Scale connects via bluetooth to your iOS and/or android device and communicates your weight and BMI to the Withings
Health Mate App (See Below).  It also has the option of using your homes wifi connection as well.  Tithings has made some interesting updates to the scale to include a weather forecast so you'll know if you should expect rain that day.  I think in the future I might upgrade this scale to the newer Smart Body Analyzer which also tracks Fat Mass and Air Quality.
You can learn more about this device and order one here.
You can learn more about the Smart Body Analyzer here.

Withings Health Mate App
Withings Health Mate App:
The brains of all the Withings products.  This app communicates with all the Withings Products and manages their updates.  It is also the main platform for organizing the data that the Withings devices collect.  It's main dashboard collects all your information into four main categories: Weight, Activity, Sleep, & Heart.  They put these four categories together into a cute picture of a butterfly with each category being represented by a wing.  As you track and reach goals you fill up each wing with its assigned color to give you an idea of where you need to focus on more.  It also has a Leaderboard page where you can set up a friendly contest with friends who have the Withings Health App to see who can reach the highest amount of steps walked each week.
You can view more about this app and download it for your iOS device (Sorry Im an apple snob) here.

Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker App
by MyFitnessPal
Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker App by MyFitnessPal:
This little gem has been with me for quite a long while.  Back during one of my more successful weight loss journeys I learned how important it is to be aware of what you are eating because those "This can't be that bad for me" foods can really creep up on you.  The App communicates with the website and tracks your daily caloric intake as well as weight, exercise, and water consumption.  It has a very extensive library to locate foods nutritional values.  This comes in very handy when you
are dining out.  If you are eating a prepackaged product you can use the camera on your smart phone or tablet to scan the barcode on the food item and it will search its extensive library for stand then log it to your diary so you can keep track of your daily dietary needs.  You can also set goals and it will let you know where you are with those goals.  For example it is important that I eat at least 80 grams of protein a day.  As I enter in what I have eaten it will also give me a daily total of my calorie, fat, carbohydrate, and Protein intake (as well as many other nutritional values) and let you know where you stand in relation to your goals.  It also has a great recipes function which has come in very handy since I now try to make healthier meals at home that fit into my new dietary needs. You can enter the specific ingredients in a meal and then specify how many servings it makes and the app will figure out the math for you. Once again you can use the camera function to identify specific ingredients even by brand name as the nutritional values can differ.
You can view more about this app and download it for your iOS device here.

     Well there you have it.  These are some of the tools I use the most to help me with reach, maintain, and monitor my health needs!

1 comment: