Sunday, April 19, 2015

Turkey Parmesan Meatloaf Muffins

     Since having my SIPS procedure back in December I have had to find new recipes to make that are high in protein while also being low in fat and carbs.  It also helps to find recipes my partner likes so that I'm not just cooking for one.  Since I need to pack up my meals for work I also look for meals that are easily divided up into servings.  I have found help from many websites and even on Pinterest.  I came across this recipe on Pinterest and made a few changes.  Hope you enjoy!!



Turkey Parmesan Meatloaf Muffins

Servings: 17-18 standard muffins
Total cooking time: Aprox. 25 minutes
This recipe was modified from the original recipe found here.

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs ground turkey 
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 egg whites
  • 8 tablespoons panko style breadcrumbs
  • ¾ teaspoon dried basil
  • ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
  • ¾ teaspoon oregano
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ a small onion, chopped small or grated
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3/4 cup (12T) parmesan cheese shredded
  • 1 1/4 cup (1T per muffin) pasta sauce
  • 1 1/4 cup (1T per muffin) part skim mozzarella cheese shredded
Special Ingredient Note:
     When it comes to shredded cheeses I prefer to buy a block of cheese and grate/shred it myself.  Yes those pre-cut bags may be time savers but they also come with extra preservatives to make them last longer and part of this new life for me is about putting better things in my body.  Also if you compare the price per volume you'll be pleasantly surprised to learn its actually cheaper to buy the cheese as a block.

Directions:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. 
  2. Lightly mist a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, egg whites, breadcrumbs, basil, thyme, oregano, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese and lightly mix together. Do not over handle.
  4. Form the meat mixture evenly into your prepared muffin tin.  I used a cookie/ice cream scoop to evenly dispense the meat mixture.  
  5. Spread 1 tablespoon of the pasta sauce evenly over the tops of each muffin. 
  6. Bake for 20 minutes and remove from the oven. 
  7. Top each muffin with about a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella cheese and then return to the oven for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted. 
Nutritional Information:
Calories: 190
Fat: 10.4 grams
Carbs: 6.8 grams
Protein: 18.9
My leftovers (After feeding my partner and neighbor)
all divided to make easy grabs for my meals while at work
*Created using My Fitness Pal

1 comment: