Monday, May 4, 2015

Apple Almond Yogurt Cake

Two deserts in the same day!  Thank god I have friends, neighbors, and coworkers to pass this off on!

     After posting my last recipe for (Almost) Sugar Free Yogurt Cake someone asked me if almond meal or coconut flour could be used instead to make it gluten sensitive friendly.  I had never tried those ingredients but it started me thinking about how I could improve this recipe.  The answer to the flour/gluten substitute was easy enough.  I wanted to see what else I could change in the recipe to make it healthier so I started looking at the butter.  The answer came from my experiences when I explored a plant based diet a few years back.  I decided to switch the butter for a applesauce but needed to make sure it was unsweetened so I could keep the sugar levels low.  The end results was a new cake where I was able to reduce the calories, fat, as well as carbs.  The sugars went up a few grams which could be due to the different yogurt I used this time.  A bonus to using the Almond meal was that it boosted the protein level of the desert as well.

Apple Almond Yogurt Cake
Servings: 8
Total Cooking/Baking Time: 45 minutes
This recipe is modified from the (Almost) Sugar Free Yogurt Cake recipe found here.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 Cups Almond Meal
  • 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Scoop Vanilla Flavored Protein Powder (I used Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein)
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar Substitute (I used a Stevia variety)
  • 1 6oz Container Plain Greek Yogurt (I used a Fage unflavored total 0%)
  • 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 1/2 Cup Egg Substitute
  • 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a small bowl whisk together the Almond Meal, Baking Powder, Salt, and Protein Powder and set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients.
  4. Blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and pour into a greased loaf pan.

  5. Place in oven and bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
  6. Test cake with skewer or cake tester to verify doneness and cool on a wire rack for fifteen minutes before inverting from pan to cool completely.




Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 180
Fat: 11.6 Grams
Carbs: 9.7 Grams
Protein: 11.7 Grams

1 comment: