Monday, May 4, 2015

(Almost) Sugar Free Yogurt Cake

Its time to test the desert department!  

    Im going home to MD for vacation next weekend and Ill get to enjoy Mothers Day with my family.  My sister is having dinner at her house and asked me to take care of appetizers and desert.  I searched for bariatric friendly deserts and found many options.  I found a recipe for a sugar free french yogurt cake I liked and modified it a bit removing the zest (not a big zest fan) and boosting its protein level with some protein powder.  Even though the original claims to be sugar free its not 100% sugar free as there is sugar in yogurt and the protein powder I used.  What I really liked about this recipe is that it didn't involve me having to run to the grocery store for random ingredients not found in most kitchens outside of the greek yogurt which I just happened to be out of.  Enjoy!


(Almost) Sugar Free Yogurt Cake
Servings: 8
Total Cooking/Baking Time: 45 minutes
This recipe is modified from the original I found here.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Scoop Vanilla Flavored Protein Powder (I used Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein)
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar Substitute (I used a Stevia variety)
  • 1 5.3oz Container Lemon Flavored Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 Cup (8 Tablespoons) Unsweetened or No Sugar Added Applesauce
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
  • 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
Ingredient Revision Note:
     My original recipe called for 1/2 Cup Butter and unflavored Greek Yogurt.  I replaced the butter with no sugar added Applesauce and replaced the unflavored Greek Yogurt with a Lemon flavored.  This resulted in a moister, more flavorful cake.
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a small bowl whisk together the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, and Protein Powder and set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients.
  4. Blend the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and pour into a greased loaf pan.
  5. Place in oven and bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
  6. Test cake with skewer or cake tester to verify doneness and cool on a wire rack for fifteen minutes before inverting from pan to cool completely.



Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 151
Fat: 2.6 Grams
Carbs: 23.7 Grams
Protein: 8.9 Grams
Created Using MyFitnessPal App


No comments:

Post a Comment