Saturday, May 9, 2015

White Bean Dip

     It's Mother's Day weekend and Im visiting my family in MD.  My sister is having dinner at her house for dinner and asked me to figure out an appetizer or two as well as desert.  Desert was easy.  Im making my (Almost) Sugar Free Yogurt Cake and serving it with fresh fruit and fat free cool whip.  I searched for a sugar free cool whip but didn't find one at the local store so the 1 gram in the fat free will have to do.

     As for the appetizers I immediately took to Pinterest where I tend to find most of my bariatric inspirations.  I came across the following recipe and modified it to my personal taste.  So heres my take on appetizers & snack foods!


White Bean Dip
Servings: 16 (about 2 Tablespoons)
Total Cooking/Baking Time: 20-30 Minutes if serving warm
This recipe is modified from the original found here.

Ingredients:
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, sliced
  • Two 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon red wine or cider vinegar
  • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • Freshly ground salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Assorted fresh vegetables 


Directions:
  1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium low heat. Slowly cook the onions and garlic for 5 to 6 minutes until soft, stirring constantly. 
  2. In a food processor, blend the cannellini beans, sautéed onion mixture, vinegar, red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt until smooth. 
  3. Slowly drizzle in the remaining olive oil while processor runs. 
  4. Add additional salt and lots of black pepper to taste.
  5. Transfer to covered bowl and chill to allow flavors to blend. 
  6. Bring the dip to room temperature before serving – about twenty minutes - so the flavors of the ingredients come out.
  7. This dip can also be baked in a medium oven proof dish at 325 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbling around the edges.
  8. Slice up assorted vegetables crudités style and serve with dip.


Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 80 grams
Fat: 3.8 grams
Carbs: 8.8 grams
Protein: 2.8 grams
Created using MyFitnessPal App

No comments:

Post a Comment